Château Le Gay | Pomerol, France
Chateau Le Gay is a Pomerol property that takes its name from the lieu-dit where it is located called Le Gay. Towards the end of World War 1 Chateau Le Gay became the property of the Robin family, eventually passing to the famous Robin sisters in 1946 who also owned the legendary estate of Chateau Lafleur.
The Robin sisters, Therese and Marie, owned and managed Chateau Le Gay for six decades and for much of that time the estate was managed by Jean Pierre Moueix, who produced and sold the wine.
Marie Robin passed away in 2001 and with no direct descendants to pass the estate to Chateau Le Gay was purchased by Catherine Pere-Verge in late, 2002.
Catherine Pere-Verge, owned several other Right Bank Pomerol estates including amongst others Chateau La Violette. Sadly, Catherine Pere Verge died in 2013 and her son Henri Parent took over managing Chateau Le Gay.
In 2014, the wine making facilities at Chateau Le Gay were completely renovated, allowing for more parcel by parcel vinification and space for more barrels allowing micro vinification techniques for Le Gay and La Violette. One of the keys to this was the installation of five new temperature controlled tanks to aid in the parcel by parcel vinification process.
The vineyard is farmed using sustainable farming techniques and yields are incredibly tiny. On average, the production of Chateau Le Gay is close to 1,500 cases per year and in addition a second wine is produced called 'Manoir de Gay', which is produced from the estate’s youngest vines.
This is one Pomerol's top estates as the wines of Chateau Le Gay offer quality, character, ageability and fair prices.