Château Léoville Barton | Saint Julien
Château Léoville Barton is the smallest portion of the great Léoville estate and has been owned by the Barton family since 1826. The history of the estate began in 1722, when Irishman Thomas Barton moved from Ireland to the Bordeaux wine region, where he established a successful trading company. His grandson bought Château Langoa and part of the Léoville estate in 1826. There is no château at Léoville with the wine itself being made at Château Langoa Barton.
Since Anthony Barton took over the reins from his Uncle Ronald in the mid 80s, quality has soared at Château Léoville Barton and the wine has gone from being a solid mid-league performing 2ème Cru Classé to one of the most exciting and scintillating wines in St. Julien. He now owns 51 hectares of vineyard at Chateau Léoville-Barton which lie close to the Gironde, sandwiched between the water and Chateau Talbot. They have a typical St Julien terroir of gravelly soils over deep clay. Plantings are are 74% Cabernet Sauvignon with the remainder being 23% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc, reflecting the classic, Cabernet-dominated wine produced in the region.