De Wetshof Estate | Robertson
The name De Wetshof has been synonymous with the production of fine wines in South Africa since the 1970’s. Located in the Robertson Valley overlooking the Breede River, De Wetshof has become known internationally as South Africa’s pre-eminent Chardonnay producer due to the pioneering role it played in introducing this noble Burgundian grape to the country. Folklore has it that Danie de Wet’s ancestor travelled back from Burgundy with clones of Chardonnay tucked away in his trouser pocket. The De Wet family’s winemaking heritage can be traced back to 1694 when the first De Wets arrived at the Cape and immediately made a mark on the South African wine industry.
Today, De Wetshof is one of the few third generation wine estates in South Africa, Danie de Wet, proprietor and cellar-master, is assisted by sons Johann (viticulture and marketing) and Peter (winemaker). A graduate of the Geisenheim Institute in Germany, one of the world’s leading centres for the study of viticulture and cellar technology, De Wet’s wines express the uniqueness of the soils of De Wetshof and meticulous attention to detail, while state-of-the-art technology ensures that the work in the cellar complements the gifts of nature’s vineyards. With its crisp white buildings, rose bushes and jacaranda trees, the Estate has become a well-known landmark in the Robertson wine valley. The cellar façade is based on the renowned and historic First Customs House in Cape Town, while the tasting room/administration offices is a replica of the Koopmans/De Wet House in Strand Street, Cape Town, dating back to 1791. Both buildings were designed by Louis Michel Thibault one of the most renowned architects of early Cape architecture.